Students in Year 11 (September 2016) are following the Edexcel Certificate in Chemistry (4CH0), which is equivalent to a GCSE. The course is divided into five sections:
- Principles of Chemistry
- Chemistry of the Elements
- Organic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Chemistry in Industry
Material additional to the specification (IGCSE plus) will be taught throughout Key Stage 4 including a greater emphasis on chemical calculations and organic chemistry. This is included to extend and enrich pupil learning, to encourage a greater understanding of chemistry and to better prepare pupils taking science subjects at A Level.
The course is supported by frequent practical work and emphasis is placed on developing practical skills and interpreting the results obtained. The Edexcel Certificate is examined through two written papers. Chemistry Paper 1 is 2 hours and accounts for 67% of the total marks, while Chemistry Paper 2 is 1 hour and accounts for the other 33% of the marks. Both papers include questions covering the practical aspects of the course.
Students in Years 9 and 10 (September 2016) will be following the Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Chemistry course.Year 9
In the first terms students complete a 'foundation course' in core aspects of GCSE chemistry including atomic structure, chemical bonding, the periodic table and group chemistry. Students then continue with the extraction of metals, gases and alkanes. Year 10
Students study the topics of kinetics, quantitative chemistry, energetics, equilibria and organic chemistry. A major investigation of the combustion of alcohols is also undertaken.
Students will focus on the final topics of acids and bases, titrations, chemical analysis and electrolysis. There is time allowed for significant period of revision and examination practice.