Wilson's School

Pupil Support

If you need advice and support

Just as with physical health, we all have mental health that we need to take care of and be aware of. Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. For teenagers, the natural changes happening in your brain can have a huge effect on your mental health. Here are some things you can do to help keep you mentally healthy:

  • Talk about your feelings – friendships are very important for this.
  • Spend time with friends and family.
  • Take regular exercise.
  • Get enough sleep (the NHS Go app gives good advice on sleep).
  • Eat well.
  • Ensure you make time to do activities you enjoy.
  • Take rests from work – this is especially important during times of revision.

If you want to talk about your mental health, remember that there is nothing to be ashamed of and even the act of talking about how you are feeling can often help. There are many places you can go to in school to get help – you can talk to any adult you trust. Furthermore, Mr Sturt, Miss Banner and Ms Atwell are trained to listen to people who feel they need help with stress or anxiety, and can also provide further information that you might find useful.

If something is troubling you or you need advice, you should always feel that you can speak to one of your teachers. If you are finding this difficult, or you need help outside of school time, there are some avenues of support listed below. Please note that the school accepts no responsibility for the content of sites outside Wilson’s School.

ChildLine is the free, 24 hour helpline for young people in the UK. Call 0800 1111 about any problem (this number does not show up on telephone bills). It is completely confidential.

If something’s troubling you, then get in touch. We’re here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We help you talk things through and we keep everything confidential. Call 116 123 or go to www.samaritans.org.

is the UK’s leading charity supporting anyone affected by eating disorders or any other difficulties with food, weight and shape. Call 0808 801 0711 or go to www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk.

CEOP (Child Exploitation Online Protection Centre)
Use this to report anyone who has spoken to you inappropriately online. It may be sexual chat, being asked to do something that makes you feel uncomfortable or someone being insistent on meeting up. Go to https://ceop.police.uk.

If you have any concerns about alcohol (your own drinking or a family member or friend), call freephone 0300 123 1110, 9am-8pm Mon to Fri or 11am-4pm Sat & Sun.

Alcohol Concern
This organisation has lots of information and advice on drinking and alcohol related problems on its website.

National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACOA)
This organisation has a free helpline for children of alcoholics, which provides listening, advice and links with other services. It also offers help to children who are concerned about their parent’s use of drugs and provides advice and information to professionals. Call 0800 358 3456 9.30am – 7pm, Mon – Fri or go to www.nacoa.org.uk.

provides support and information to anyone suffering through a gambling problem. Call freephone 0808 8020 133 or go to www.gamcare.org.uk.

Child Bereavement Trust
If you or someone you know has suffered the loss of a loved one, you can contact the Child Bereavement Trust for support and advice. Call 01494 446648 or go to www.childbereavementuk.org.

Hope Again
is a website designed for young people by young people to provide support after the death of someone close. Call freephone 0808 808 1677, 9.30am-5pm Mon-Fri or go to www.hopeagain.org.uk.

Runaway Helpline
is here if you are thinking about running away, if you have already run away, or if you have been away and come back. You can also contact the Runaway Helpline if you are worried that someone else is going to run away or if they are being treated badly or abused. The number to call is 116 000 (free to call 24 hours a day) or go to www.runawayhelpline.org.uk.

Bullying Online
This site provides email advice about bullying, and tries to respond to all emails within 24 hours. Visit the Bullying Online website www.bullying.co.uk.

Off the Record
is a local drop-pin service for young people to talk to someone about anything that is concerning them, including a free online counselling service. Call 020 8251 0251 or go to www.talkofftherecord.org.

provides support to those experiencing mental health problems such as stress, anxiety or depression. Call 0300 304 7000, 4.30pm-10.30pm daily or go to www.sane.org.uk.

is the children’s mental health charity. Its website has lots of help and advice about how to deal with depression, anxiety and different kinds of feelings and emotions. Go to www.youngminds.org.uk.
Stacks Image 9877
The Hideout
is a national website that gives support to children and young people living with domestic violence, or to those who may want to help a friend. The site informs children and young people about domestic violence and helps them identify whether it is happening in their home. Go to http://thehideout.org.uk/young-people/home/.

Separated Families Matter (Families Need Fathers)
is a site that contains straightforward information and advice if your parents are splitting up.

Talk to Frank (National Drugs Helpline)
Contact FRANK for confidential support and advice about drugs whenever you need ti most. The 24 hour service is free. Call 0300 123 66 00 or go to www.talktofrank.com.

Worth Talking About
is a free and confidential helpline providing sexual health advice for young people in the UK. Call 0300 123 29 30, 2-8pm, Mond to Fri or 2-4pm Sat & Sun.

Young Carers Service
Part of Sutton Carers Centre, this is a specialist service for children and young people aged 8-25 who have caring responsibilities. Call 0208 296 5611 or go to www.carer.org/sutton.

Beaumont Society
is a national self help body run by and for the transgender community. For support and guidance call 01582 412 220 or go to www.beaumontsociety.org.uk.

LGBT Foundation Helpline
is a national charity delivering a wide range of services to lesbian, gay and bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities. For support and guidance, call 0345 330 30 30, 10am-10pm on a weekday or go to https://lgbt.foundation.

is a free service that can answer your questions about gay rights. Call 08000 50 20 20, Mon – Fri 9.30am – 5.30pm or go to www.stonewall.org.uk/help-and-advice.
Wilson’s School Pride Society meets every Monday lunchtime in the 1880 Room.

The Teenage Health Freak website
gives general health advice. Go to www.teenagehealthfreak.org.

provides advice, tips and support for those who want to stop smoking.

The Scholarship Hub
is a website that allows you to search and apply for UK scholarships, grants or bursaries for university and find degree apprenticeships. Go to www.thescholarshiphub.org.uk.


Calm Harm
is a free app with password protection that provides a range of techniques to relieve emotional distress. It’s particularly helpful as an alternative if you often use self-harm to cope.

Chill Panda
Learn to relax, manage your worries and improve your wellbeing with Chill Panda. The app measures your heart rate and suggests tasks to suit your state of mind. Tasks include simple breathing techniques and light exercises to take your mind off your worries.

For Me
is a free app from Childline. It offers counselling, group message boards and advice.

The app has been created by a group of bereaved young people working directly with Child Bereavement UK.

is a new initiative enabling young people to have greater access to medical information. Users can read health related articles, search for nearby services, and find out more information regarding their rights as an NHS customer.
Translate this page