The excellence that Wilson’s has enjoyed throughout its history has been underpinned by many selfless acts of altruism and philanthropy. After the generous bequest of the land and foundation by Edward Wilson himself in 1615, the earliest record of benefaction at the school dates back to 1649.
Since then, significant fundraising activity has featured at regular intervals in our history, the most recent example of which centred on the refurbishment of our assembly hall, the John Jenkins Hall, in 2015 and the construction of our new facilities for music and sport – the Britton Centre – opened by HRR Princess Eugenie in January 2023.
Wilson’s, as an Academy School, remains vulnerable to the vicissitudes of government funding. Recent budget cuts have led to many hard choices about what we are able to offer our staff and pupils. Despite being constructed less than fifty years ago, parts of our campus are tired and dilapidated. Our aspiration to be a world class school is simply not matched by the quality of our facilities. Our science facilities are in urgent need of refurbishment and our classroom white boards are obsolete and require upgrading.
A boys’ grammar school in the London Borough of Sutton (UK), Wilson’s School is: