WE ARE REGULARLY ASKED at Parents' Evenings how parents can help their sons in their studies. Please read on for useful advice both on general principles and also on specific subjects.
- Homework is intended to be done at home. It is a good idea to set aside a specific period of time for study and to make this into a daily routine.
- The length of time needed to complete homework varies.
- Your son will need a suitable space in which to do the work, preferably free of distractions such as electronic devices.
- Tasks set may involve using a computer, so you may want to take steps to ensure that the time spent on the computer is directed towards the set task. Where possible, the computer should not be in your son's bedroom so that you are able to monitor usage.
- It is not possible for parents to supervise the entire homework session closely, but it is important to take an interest in what your son is doing; the occasional oversight of his work and question about what he has learnt will be very helpful.
- You can check the details of the tasks set in your son's homework planner. There may also be messages from your son's teachers on the current page. Please sign the planner weekly to confirm that you have read it and are satisfied that your son has done his best to complete the work.
- Very bright boys often make short work of their home study and may claim to have finished it at school or on the way home. This may well be true from time to time, but it should not become a regular occurrence. If it does so, please inform your son's tutor.
- If you have any concerns over the homework or your son's progress, you can use the planner to note your comments, and this should be picked up within a week by your son's tutor. Alternatively you can always contact the school (via your son's Head of Year) if you have any concerns about homework.
A boys’ grammar school in the London Borough of Sutton (UK), Wilson’s School is:
- committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment
- a charitable company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (no. 7536970). Registered office: Mollison Drive, Wallington, Surrey SM6 9JW