The excellence that Wilson’s has enjoyed throughout its 406 year history has been underpinned by many selfless acts of altruism and philanthropy. After the generous bequest of the land and foundation by Edward Wilson himself in 1615, the earliest record of benefaction at the school dates back to 1649.
Since then, significant fundraising activity has featured at regular intervals in our history, the most recent example of which centred on the refurbishment of our assembly hall, the John Jenkins Hall, in 2015.
Wilson’s, as an Academy School, remains vulnerable to the vicissitudes of government funding. Recent budget cuts have led to many hard choices about what we are able to offer our staff and pupils. Despite being constructed less than fifty years ago, parts of our campus are tired and dilapidated. Our aspiration to be a world class school is simply not matched by the quality of our facilities. Our sports changing rooms are uninviting (to put it politely!) and our music facilities are cramped and uncomfortable.
We now aspire to transform our provision for music teaching and sport and fitness by providing a new Music School, new sports changing facilities and a state of the art fitness suite.
In response to the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the new facilities will offer the opportunity for greater spacing and for safer circulation within the new buildings and corridors. Our tendering for the building work was rigorous and the most competitive of the three tenders has been selected. We are sensitive to the impact of COVID-19 on many of our stakeholders and have therefore chosen to delay the start of the building work until later this year. The building work will then take 9 months to complete once started.
A boys’ grammar school in the London Borough of Sutton (UK), Wilson’s School is: